The aim of CLIMAR is to foster and coordinate the development of marine climate data and products.
CLIMAR has grown out of series of meetings of the surface marine climate observing community which have had a particular focus on the International Comprehensive Ocean-Atmosphere Data Set (ICOADS). Over time CLIMAR has broadened to include a wider range of data types and acts as a focus for interactions between the in situ surface marine observing community and the satellite, subsurface ocean and land communities.
The CLIMAR Organising Committee
- Scott Woodruff (Chair, NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory, USA)
- Etienne Charpentier (WMO/JCOMM)
- Craig Donlon (European Space Agency)
- Sissy Iona (Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR), Greece)
- Elizabeth Kent (National Oceanography Centre, UK)
- Albert Klein Tank (Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute, KNMI)
- Nick Rayner (Met Office, UK)
- Shawn Smith (Florida State University, USA)
- Val Swail (Environment Canada)